Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Proposal

It's been too long, I know. I have kept you guys waiting for weeks and I'm sure most of you have lost interest at this point, but I just had to blog. I had to get it out; tell the whole world! Ever since I started dating Matt I put blogging on the back burner, not so much because I didn't have time, but because I didn't want to put too much out there. I was afraid I was going to curse the whole relationship! So, I didn't say very much. Then I fell in love and I shouted it from the rooftops. Now I'm engaged and I can finally share everything but I don't have time. It's a bit ironic isn't it?
On to the story. 

Where to start? How about Saturday morning on the drive home from college with Matt. He had been acting weird all weekend and insisted we get home by 3 so that he could “run some errands.” I knew he had to be getting my ring. He's not from Utah so what other pressing engagement would he have? I joked with him that he was probably throwing me a surprise party because after all I had just graduated with my Nursing degree and that’s a pretty big deal! In high school my sister threw me a surprise UN-birthday party but I wasn’t really surprised because one of my friends accidentally asked me if I was going to be there. Oops. Anyway, I have always loved surprses and I have been wanting a surprise party for the majority of my life. 

That bit of background brings us to Monday. It seemed like an ordinary day. We woke up to screaming children, made sugar cookies, and went for a run. I wasn’t expecting him to propose because Wednesday night we were going to a black tie dinner party and in my mind that would have been the perfect conditions for a proposal. I was planning on curling my hair (miracle) and wearing a beautiful dress- two rare things in my life. The worst part of getting engaged is that you have to be ready for it at all times which means I had to have my hair done and an actual outfit at the ready at all times. So, that night I put on one of the only real shirts I had (considering I was temporarily living out of my car at my brother's house while mine is being renovated) and poofed my hair. Elissa and Lisa had made plans with us to go out for frozen yogurt and they kept insisting they come all the way out to Lehi to pick us up. I was so irritated! There was no reason for them to drive all the way out here and it would be much easier to meet in American Fork. They didn’t care. They kept on saying how they love driving with each other and it would give them time to talk, so, despite my annoyance, I gave them the address and then headed out to my house to pick up a few things. I took my sweet time. At one point I think I was driving five under the speed limit because I wasn't paying attention. Of course, I had to pee twice during the ten minutes we were at the house and needed to go again on the way back! I'm really pretty pathetic. When I walked into the house  the lights were off. Are the little girls in bed already?  I wondered. I went to turn down the hall when Lisa jumped out and yelled, "Surprise!" I almost wet my pants! I backed away as Elissa, Cassie, Mitch and the rest of my family came out from their hiding spots and yelled Congratulations! That’s when Matt came out of the hall with a dozen pink roses. I knew what was happening. On the couch was his computer with his family on Skype. Elissa hit play and our song starting playing. "Don't be scared it's only love that we're falling in..." He took the flowers and tossed them on the couch and then took my hands and told me that this wasn’t a party to celebrate my graduation and he got down on one knee. I didn’t know how to react! I thought about crying and laughing and I think I did a little bit of both. Honestly I mostly just thought I was going to explode. Everything in my body felt numb. He pulled out the most beautiful ring I had ever seen. Someone once told me that I would know what ring was mine because I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about it. I think that's how it is when you fall in love with anyone or anything. It was the one that I had been dreaming about.  He was the one I had been hoping for. I screamed yes and fell to my knees to hug him. The rest of the night was a blur. I called and text about a million people. I couldn’t stop looking at my finger! It was one of those moments that you spend all of your life imagining in every little bitty detail and then when it actually happens you're too caught up in it all that you don't remember half of it. 

So that's the story. It isn't nauseatingly romantic or extravagant, but it was absolutely perfect! I was completely surprised, my closest friends and family were there, and it was caught on camera. I couldn't have asked for more!  

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to laugh or cry also but I was mostly in stun ner mode. I felt like i looked dumb hahah what a happy time :). Congrats Cami... I knew you would find him. Didn't I tell you that a year from now you would be married. I'm pretty sure I said something like that when we lived together briefly. Or if i didn't, i should have because then i would have been right!

    ReplyDelete